[jdom-interest] Re: JDOM thread safety

Joseph Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Sun Aug 13 17:27:40 PDT 2000

> I agree, although I'd say "synchronized
> when necessary"

If you study the description of why double-check locking is
broken, I think you'll see that synchronization is necessary most
of the time.

Java permits writes to be reordered (in a very non-object-oriented
way). This means that a reference to an object may be visible to
another thread before the updates associated with the contents of
that object are visible.

I recommend synchronizing now.  It will be easier to maintain in
the long run.

As for the cost of synchronization, it has been steadily
decreasing.

As for weak references, that seems like a good idea, though thread
safety is still an issue, I believe.

--
Joe Bowbeer