[jdom-interest] JAXP and JDOM (one more time?)

Zakon, Stuart ZakonS at eccelerate.com
Wed Aug 16 07:03:54 PDT 2000

Alex Rosen wrote:

>That is, the XML parser isn't part of JAXP per se. Sun's Project X parser
is
>distributed with JAXP, however. The SAX parsers in Project X are
>com.sun.xml.parser.Parser and com.sun.xml.ValidatingParser, I believe.

Using the either of the following classes from parser.jar (distributed with
JAXP)
com.sun.xml.parser.Parser
org.xml.sax.Parser

yields the exception:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/xml/sax/SAXNotRecognizedException

when calling the constructor SAXBuilder ( String SAXDriverClass, boolean
validate )

Since SAXNotRecognizedException is included in xerces.jar, which I am trying
to replace,
the whole excercise seems a bit futile: JDOM implies SAX2 support
( SAXNotRecognizedException is defined in SAX2 ). This class does not appear
in parser.jar.

In other words, the answer is NO, you cannot use JDOM with the current SUN
JAXP release.

So far I like the suggestion given of trying to use xerces.jar underneath
jaxp.jar but
haven't tried this yet.

Stuart Zakon
Objects by Design