[jdom-interest] Question about element length

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Tue Aug 22 10:45:42 PDT 2000

Scott Lewis wrote:

> Hello everyone. I am new to this discussion group and XML in
> general so forgive me if the following is a "dumb" question. I
> was wondering if one had a XML tag which is more than 65536
> characters long does the JDOM API support a way to create a
> new document element which overcomes the
> length restriction on Java's String class? Thanks.

Are you asking about tag names greater than 64K, or content?
Please say content.  :-)

Regardless, I don't believe Java has a String length restriction.  I
just wrote a sample program that constructs a 1,000,000 character
string, and it worked fine.  Now I seem to recall method bodies have a
64K restriction; maybe you're thinking of that.