[jdom-interest] JDOM support for XPath

bob bob at accurev.com
Mon Aug 28 11:59:36 PDT 2000

> You can request it, but you aren't going to get it. java.lang.String
> is a final class, and there's just no way we can make it support
> getParent(). :-( Paul Prescod noticed and pointed out this very
> problem (no way to get the parent) to me at Extreme two weeks ago.

Well, for the time being, I can handle it myself in the xpath
engine, but if JDOM ever natively supports a Text node for
text nodes, I'd be thrilled.

My request for getParent() on Comment and PI still open for
votes/inspection?

Another handy thing, would be getTreeText() on element, which
would recursively get the text (in order) for the subtree.
Effectively ripping out interveneing Elements.

	-bob