[jdom-interest] Announce: JDOMPlus a flexible XML framework f or Java

James Strachan james at metastuff.com
Wed Dec 6 01:50:33 PST 2000

Whoops, I pressed send too early on that previous mail - sorry about that.
That'll teach me to type before I've had my morning coffee ;-)

I was just about to say...

From: "Jason Hunter" <jhunter at collab.net>
> Brett and I very much hope that people with design ideas continue to use
> this list as the place for discussion.  I'm always happy to debate the
> merits of different designs.

Me too its fun :-)

Though from Bretts responses such as...

http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2000-November/003901.html
http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2000-December/003954.html

I think its pretty clear that interfaces, factories, multiple tree
implementations ('dual' trees), read only & reusable branches and the like
are not going to make it into JDOM. Period. JDOM has one Element
implemention and one Attribute implementation end of story. Unfortunately, I
don't see much point discussing such things on JDOM anymoreas it is clear
JDOM will never move in the 'interface' direction.

It is for this very reason that I started the 'project formerly known as
JDOM+' ;-) project. For those people amongst us who want to freely mix and
match different data structure implementations for different use cases /
schemas within an API framework rather than relying on a 'one size fits all'
approach to data structures.

> I enjoy that discussion actually; it's one
> of the nicest perks of this unpaid position.  :-)  It's unfortunate we
> can't accept every idea,

Agreed - its unfortunate but trade-offs have to be made.

> but we believe it's best when making API
> changes to "Measure twice, cut once" as they say, and the factory model
> promoted by the forked design definitely raised some hairy unresolved
> issues.

What hairy unresolved issues are they? Though I like the term - hairy
unresolved issue - HUI - I hope it catches on ;-)

If most of us can use interfaces for Map, List and Set quite happily I'm at
a loss to understand what is so fundamentally wrong with using interfaces to
represent a Java based XML tree data structure. The only problem with this
approach as far as I can see (other than an increase in complexity which can
be hidden from the user in many ways) is that politically it would make JDOM
apprear more like DOM.

<James/>

James Strachan
email: james at metastuff.com