[jdom-interest] RE: SAXBuilder with regards to the textcontent

Joseph Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Sun Dec 10 00:33:31 PST 2000

Concerning stripping whitespace from SAXBuilder:

There is a DataUnformatFilter in samples.sax, and some test code in
sampes.sax.FilterTest.

  /* Remove pretty formatting from formatted xml file. */
  builder = new SAXBuilder();
  builder.setXMLFilter( new DataUnformatFilter() );
  doc = builder.build(in);

The DataUnformatFilter was designed to remove the whitespace inserted by
the DataFormatFilter.  It removes newlines and indentation from elements
with mixed content, leaving either text or element content, but not
both.

It's careful not to change the whitespace inside elements that do not
have mixed content, because for all it knows that whitespace is
significant.  In other words, it doesn't trim() the element content.

If trim()'d element content is a popular option, I agree that a
SAXBuilder option is warranted.  (XMLFilter's are not easy to write.)