[jdom-interest] NoSuch*Exceptions in JDOM

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Sun Jul 9 12:55:49 PDT 2000

> Unfortunately, Messrs. McLaughlin and Hunter seem to prefer a frenzy of
> exceptions.

I'm still flexible.  But let me say, I'm not swayed by the "ivory tower"
question of "is this exceptional or not" but rather I'm swayed by use
cases that make one approach more appealing than the other.
Unfortunately, selecting either approach currently involves making
certain use cases overly complicated.  So, other things being equal, I'm
currently supporting throwing exceptions because I just know returning
null means there'll be a lot of damn NullPointerException errors,
without any decent description of what went wrong.  Sirtaj Singh Kang
made some very compelling arguments along these lines.

> Maybe it's time for a straw poll?  Reply "null" or "throw"...

How 'bout a web page for voting?  Like evite.com except instead of
saying you're attending or not, you vote yes or no?  Gotta be a free
vote page somewhere.  Or we could use firedrop zaplets.  Ha!