[jdom-interest] Finalizing the JDOM license

Jason Hunter jhunter at acm.org
Tue Jul 11 10:49:51 PDT 2000

> I'm not sure how I'd word it, but I'd remove the work "must" and
> replace it with something else like "should" that would more closely
> correspond to the intent.

Agreed.

> Also the idea of an icon, or some other form
> of acknowledgement as an option would be nice.

Also agreed.  We can have the license point to a URL with the image as
an alternative.  Depending on use, we could provide a few alternatives.
There's the full banner ad size (for people who absolutely love JDOM),
the "powered by" icon size, and so on.  Here are some URLs showing how
O'Reilly has used my book's teakettle theme in various icons.

http://www.servlets.com/images/jservlet_lg_ad.gif
http://www.servlets.com/images/jservlet_sm_ad.gif
http://www.servlets.com/images/oranetwork.jpg

> I think that given the
> option many developers would try to stick with the spirit of such a
> request.

That's my thought.  Don't require it, but politely suggest it.