[jdom-interest] [Vote] NoSuchChildException

Brett McLaughlin brett.mclaughlin at lutris.com
Wed Jul 12 07:20:27 PDT 2000

I'm calling for a vote among /committers/ on the NoSuchChildException.

Please, folks, I know that there are lots of you have voiced your
opinion (quite well), and I'm ready to put this issue to bed. So ready,
in fact, that I'm reflecting it in my vote. But this is an open source
project, and so we have the committers vote. If you don't commit (please
don't take this wrong), please hold off right now on letting us know
your opinion (we know it by now ;-) ). Bottom line, if you commit to
jdom, jdom-test, jdom-contrib, vote here. Again, Jason and I are the
only committers to jdom, which is where this code change would live, but
for the sake of getting what we feel are important opinions from our
other modules, we want to open this vote to all of those modules. It
must be unanimous, and I am committed to getting this issue worked out,
this week, before I dive back into code.

So, the vote is this:

Instead of NoSuchChildExceptions, null should be returned when a child
is asked for and does not exist. This is an all-the-time, always-on, no
exceptions proposal. If you are +1, say so. If you are -1, let us know
why, and suggest your alternative. Folks, there aren't enough of us, so
please don't go +-0 on this, unless you /really/ really don't care to
ever gripe about our choice.

I'm +1 on returning null (gasp!) Yes, I'm all for harmony here, and
getting on with it.

-Brett

--
Brett McLaughlin, Enhydra Strategist