[jdom-interest] Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements

Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus Scott_Boag at lotus.com
Wed Jul 12 09:52:11 PDT 2000

> toughts about an XPath implementation on JDOM.

If JDOM would implement a simple, read-only subset of the DOM interfaces,
they could use Xalan2's XPath implementation, to good effect and
performance, I think.  It seems like they could implement this subset with
little or no effect on performance.  If you want details on what that
subset would be, please let me know.  If the JDOM folk have good ideas on
what it would take to make the Xalan2 XPath acceptable to them, I would be
glad to work with them.

-scott

                    "Jeffrey
                    Rodriguez"             To:     general at xml.apache.org
                    <jeffreyr_97 at ho        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)
                    tmail.com>             Subject:     Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements

                    07/12/2000
                    04:52 AM
                    Please respond
                    to general

Hi Jason, Hi Brett,

Yes, I think that we need a pluggable architecture that would allow:

- pluggable components ( validators, XPath APIs, DOM like api, mini parser
api.
- configurability, so we get the set of tools required for the
  job.

I think this requirement are already in the list ( let us check).

What are your toughts about an XPath implementation on JDOM. What
is the status of JDOM, last time I visit your site was just after
your presentation at the Mountain View Java user's group back in
April.

Thanks,
              Jeffrey Rodriguez
              IBM Silicon Valley

ps.
Brett, your book is great, it has some of the best up to date
coverage of the Xerces APIs, a must for our beginner users.

In case of troubles, e-mail:     webmaster at xml.apache.org