[jdom-interest] More changes

Brett McLaughlin new.instance at gte.net
Wed Jul 19 16:56:18 PDT 2000

Jason Hunter wrote:

> > > On a somewhat related note, I'm really starting to like the idea of
> > > getChildContent(String childName) and getChildContent(String childName,
> > > String fallback).  These methods would greatly simplify my coding when
> > > reading config files.
> >
> > Ughhh... why? What's wrong with
> >
> > element.getChild(childName).getContent(); ?
>
> What's wrong is that getChild() can now return null, and so every time
> you do that call chain you're risking an NPE.  So now it's become
>
> String value = "default";
> Element child = element.getChild(childName);
> if (child != null) {
>   value = child.getContent();
> }
>
> There's the Ughhh.  :-)  What I really want is
>
> element.getChildContent(childName, "default");

OK - as nicely as possible ;-), this is the consequence of the null vs.
Exception discussion - this sort of thing is the logical end-result. I
agree that getChildContent() is fraught with confusion and
double-meaning. Is the child returned the first child? SO if you want
the second child you can't do this shortcut? Is the default returned
when the value doesn't exist? when the child doesn't exist? When there's
an error? Is the default an Element? or a value? Is that really
accurate?

I think if this is really a problem, than what you are saying is that
you want an Exception to be thrown. I really don't see an in between
without it being a hack, which is what this looks like.

-Brett

--
Brett McLaughlin, Enhydra Strategist
Lutris Technologies, Inc.