[jdom-interest] DTD's referring to each other?

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Sun Jul 23 07:31:16 PDT 2000

Sure, just use entities in the DTD.  Create DTD's for the shared parts and
then declare the entities so that they read from the file system.  The hard
part is when the structure isn't quite the same between shared uses.

(untested) example

<!ENTITY % employee.dtd SYSTEM "employee.dtd">
<!ENTITY % client.dtd SYSTEM "client.dtd">

<!ELEMENT timesheet (dailyTotal+,employee,client+)>
<!ATTLIST timesheet
 periodEndDate CDATA #IMPLIED

%employee.dtd;
%client.dtd;

Does anyone know if a DTD can reference another DTD? I have an application
where there would be common elements across a number of DTDs. I'd like to
have the equivalent of an include command to reference another DTD.