[jdom-interest] XMLOutputter

Brett McLaughlin brett.mclaughlin at lutris.com
Sun Jul 30 13:19:04 PDT 2000

All-

  Some subtle problems get introduced into XMLOutputter now that we
handle whitespace correctly. By default, right now, XMLOutputter no
longer does any indentation or line feeds. This may seem horribly wrong
- all docs look all jumbled right? Well, actually, no!

  Documents read in from an existing file (like contents.xml in the
samples directory) come in now with whitespace and formatting preserved.
So outputting that with the new XMLOutputter means it comes out as it
came in (which is good - something we couldn't do even a day ago). This
is because we finally hold onto whitespace and such.

  The problem is that documents created in memory are the exact opposite
- they need the indentation and new lines that XMLOutputter uses. So it
(XMLOutputter) really needs different "defaults" based on the use-case.
>From scratch docs needs the older version with indents and newlines,
existing docs need no formatting.

  Thoughts?

-Brett