[jdom-interest] Javadoc suggestion for Element.java

Jools Enticknap jools at jools.org
Tue Jun 13 13:29:22 PDT 2000

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Jason Hunter wrote:

> > Here is a short text which I feel might be of use to programmers who
> > might want to subclass Element.
>
> I took your base and enhanced it a little.  Let me know if you think
> anything needs to be added.  You're right this has the potential to
> cause problems because a simple Element subclass constructor will
> implicitly call super().  If this doesn't take care of people's
> problems, we should add it to the FAQ.  Notice I removed your part about
> "if you can't call a non-default" since it wasn't clear to me when that
> might occur.  Perhaps you could explain.

Concievably you might want to construct the basic Element and perhaps
name it a short time after it has been constructed, say for instance.

Thus it would not be possible to call a "non-default" constructor as
it would throw an exception if you passed a null for the name, simply
because you were going to assign it a value after it had been constructed.

I was 50/50 about the comment when I wrote it, as it's difficult to
write it without sounding patronising or writing loads of example code
in the javadoc.

I think your modified version is clear and to the point.

--Jools