[jdom-interest] Failure parsing an XML-instance with SAXBuilder

Armin Pfarr Armin.Pfarr at t-online.de
Thu Nov 2 01:47:18 PST 2000

Hello,

I tried to parse an XML-instance using jdom-b5 and Xerces 1.2.1 with the
following code-fragment

      SAXBuilder builder = new SAXBuilder(true);
      try {
         doc = builder.build(path);
      } catch(Exception ex) {
         ex.printStackTrace();
      }

and got the following exception

org.jdom.JDOMException: null: null
        at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:349)
        at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:422)
        at com.arp.xml.XMLModel.<init>(XMLModel.java:19)
        at XMLTree.<init>(XMLTree.java:21)
        at XMLTree.main(XMLTree.java:43)
Root cause: java.util.EmptyStackException
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:917)
        at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:331)
        at org.jdom.input.SAXBuilder.build(SAXBuilder.java:422)
        at com.arp.xml.XMLModel.<init>(XMLModel.java:19)
        at XMLTree.<init>(XMLTree.java:21)
        at XMLTree.main(XMLTree.java:43)

I tried to submit the path with "path/file.xml", also with file:///path/file
, with a FileInputStream and with a File. In any case, the result is the
same. What surprises me most ist that the parsing with Xerces alone -
building a DOM-tree - works fine.

Any idea?
Armin

P.S.
The files that fail have a relative DTD-path in the system identifier and
the DTD's include relative external entity references.