[jdom-interest] Element Reference from Attribute

bob mcwhirter bob at werken.com
Fri Nov 17 10:38:12 PST 2000

> > > That is, how is it that one can be navigating from an Attribute
> > > with no knowledge of the Element with said Attribute?
> >
> > Using my XPath library, for one.
>
> Yep, Bob's killer use case is why giving attribs knowledge of their
> parent element is a TODO item.
>
> I don't have Comment, PI, etc as needing the enhancement.  Bob, what's
> your strategy there?  (I'm worried about memory consumption again if all
> nodes of the document have to be doubly-linked.)

Well, I'd still like Comment, PI etc to have getParent() also.
Of course, the problem there is parent can be a Document or an
Element.

Since those are wacky, I can certainly work around them on my own,
should JDOM not include support.  I don't see that as too much of
a show stopper.  But XPaths involving attributes will probably
occur often enough (in XSLT, if nothing else) to warrant (in my
mind) explicit support from JDOM itself.

	-bob