[jdom-interest] Element Reference from Attribute

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Nov 20 04:53:30 PST 2000

At 10:10 AM -0800 11/19/00, Jason Hunter wrote:

>>  2. Using Strings instead of a Text class is extremely inconvenient.
>
>With a design so that getMixedContent() returned a list including node
>of type Text but getText(), or some such method, still returned a
>String?  It's a hard requirement that you can get a String from an
>Element.

I propose this method:

public String getValue()

This would return the XPath defined value of the Element, Attribute,
Comment, etc. You could even call it getText() if you preferred,
though I think getValue() is more consistent with other specs.  I
only foresee Text nodes being returned as members of the list
returned by getChildren() or getMixedContent().

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |