[jdom-interest] Re: XMLOutputter naming questions

Joe Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Tue Oct 3 05:00:48 PDT 2000

Louis Tribble wrote:

> However, let me suggest something else.
> java.text.Format and its subclasses use format(x)
> methods to return the String and StringBuffer
> equivalents of x (hmmm, this says XMLOutputter
> could plausibly be called XMLFormat...).

A XMLFormat would imply a subclass of java.text.Format, which would also
require a corresponding parseObject method.  I don't think we want to go
there...

The prefix "output" still works for me even for the outputString methods
because, as Alex pointed out, these are methods of an outputter.

But I also like:

    createString(whatever)
    makeString(whatever)
    asString(whatever)