[jdom-interest] Newbie: JDom-Test (Can this actually be run)

Richard Landon RLandon at youbet.com
Thu Oct 5 15:55:19 PDT 2000

JAR consolidation.

These are the JAR files that are bundled with the "lastest" JDOM milestone
(what do we call it? I got the CVS code two days ago? Beta-5? Sorry if I am
using the wrong release name for the milestone).

I seem to need to have these JAR files in my classpath to execute the
various jdom or jdom-contrib samples and test code

(I'm also messing with the Java and XML book code samples)

./antlr.jar
./antlrall.jar
./collections.jar
./jakarta-regexp-1.1.jar
./jdom-contrib.jar
./jdom-test.jar
./jdom.jar
./xerces.jar

(I've dropped the junit.jar file from this list as we already have it tucked
away into our test environment. I can probably drop the jdom-test.jar? and
probably
the collections.jar file since we using JDK 1.2.x?)

I'll also suppose that I'll eventually need or want a different DOM XML
parser jar (any recommendations other than xerces from Apache) and the SAX 2
parser jar and of course JAXP API from Javasoft?. I'd like to put all of
these into 1 JAR, but I'm not sure how or if I can do this by directly
packaging these jar's into (say) a zip file, which I stick into the
CLASSPATH (is this possible with JAR's: to insert multiple JARS and then
somehow define an
appropriate manifeast indicating what jar in the jar or zip contains what
Java classes
or am I dreaming?)

I've looked at the BeanMapper example in the jdom-contrib and want to
simulate something
akin to it for Entity EJB: we're using an MVC based EJB-centric design for
our system.
The idea being that we can return an XML document in a String as data when
we dispatch
the model change notification to the View (which exists within a JavaBean in
the Web-Tier).
I am dreaming, or just insane? I would appreciate any feed-back on the
general design
and approach (Really I would). I understand this is an XML not EJB forum,
but hey, it's
worth a shot? Here's a pointer to a discussion on XML and EJB that I'm
pretty much modeling
the approach after:
http://theserverside.com/patterns/thread.jsp?thread_id=343

Thanks for any pointers you may be willingly to provide.

Regards, Rick Landon