[jdom-interest] Binary files as XML content

Aspi Siganporia aspicool at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 08:14:47 PDT 2000

Hi,

Is it invalid to use binary data as content of XML elements, even if it is part of a CDATA section.

I wanted to build a file transfer function on top of XML. It works fine except that it complains about "Invalid XML character" when I try with binary files like .tar or .jpg.

So, is my assumption correct that XML contents should only be printable text?

I suppose that would force me to build file transfer by reading / writing over Servlet input/output streams.

Just want to double check before I change course.

Does anyone know of public domain utility Java methods to do that?

Thanks
Aspi