[jdom-interest] Re: progressive parsing/minimizing memory foo tprint

Scott Smith ssmith at summitlogic.com
Wed Apr 11 06:26:17 PDT 2001

Has the topic of a JDOM using virtual memory come up before?  I don't mean
using the OS's virtual memory. I mean explicitly have the JDOM Document
manage it's own virtual memory file.  It may sound slightly crazy, but it
seems that if a JDOM doc managed it's own VM file directly, it would be much
more efficient than the generic VMM offered by the OS.  For instance, each
element could be stored contiguously on disk. A ElementBlockSize setting
could determine how large an element could be before it is stored in a
separate block (linked to its parent).

Scott