[jdom-interest] Re: TODO serialization [eg]

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Tue Apr 17 20:49:30 PDT 2001

> I'd suggest instead that the focus should be on time and
> space efficient
> serialization for transport. This is not one of the choices
> in your list, but I
> believe it's the most important issue.
>   - Dennis

Yes!

> > 2. Implement Serializable, but only support short-term
> persistence.  (In
> > other words, do roughly what we're doing now.)
> >
> > 3. Implement Serializable (or Externalizable?) using a
> custom serialized
> > form that provides long-term persistence.

2 or 3 work for me.  I would even say 3 is better, as long as it is more
efficient than 2 and inordinate amounts of time don't have to be spent doing
it or answering questions about it.  I think *encouraging* long term
persistence of JDOM documents as something other than XML is the wrong thing
to do though.  Give 'em a gun an they... oh never mind.