[jdom-interest] Todo list [eg]

Rosen, Alex arosen at silverstream.com
Fri Apr 27 16:52:44 PDT 2001

> According to JSR definitions, JDOM is approaching community review.  :-)

This brings up a question. In your opinion, what things on the TODO list need
to happen before we can get to each stage of the JSR? It would be nice if we
could do all the "right away" stuff before the community review, and all the
"1.0" stuff before the public review... but that seems unrealistic...

Does i18n need to move from JDOM 1.1 to 1.0, now that JDOM is a JCP spec?

Some things that could be added to the TODO list:

Think more about subclassing. Make more (all?) variables and methods protected
instead of private. Split long implementation methods up as much as makes
sense, so that you can override base functionality at a more granular level.
(You don't have to copy the code from a large method, just so you can change
one small piece of it.)

Remove the 3 Document.getProcessingInstruction[s] methods. I think they're not
needed, and cause confusion. See the discussion at
http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2000-November/003882.html and
again at
http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2001-January/004244.html
(nobody requested to keep them). Now that I think about it, I think
removeProcessingInstruction[s] and setProcessingInstructions should go too.

XMLOutputter.printDeclaration() knows that it should write encoding="UTF-8"
rather than encoding="UTF8". I think we need to add a long list of translations
from Java encoding names to standard encoding names, or we'll print the wrong
thing when using other encodings.

Alex Rosen
SilverStream Software