[jdom-interest] detach() [eg]

Kenworthy, Edward edward.kenworthy at exchange.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 23:51:37 PDT 2001

I think this argument is flawed.

subject.verb(object) sure I go along with that. As a rule of thumb which
obeys all the usual rules about rules.

However, how is parent.detach(child) superior to child.detach(parent) ?

In the first case detach is read as "detach this child" in the second it's
"detach from parent" how is the former superior to the latter ?

It isn't.

The latter has the advantage that it can be simplfied to child.detach()
because the child can only have one parent. This also eliminates the need
for any checking on the parameter because there isn't one.

In the case of parent.detach(child) what if the child isn't a child of
parent ? Got to check that and then what ? Throw an IAE ? What if the child
is null ? More checking. This is actually worse than having element.detach()
throw and exception if it is the root element.

Moving detach to the parent makes the api more complicated, sure it removes
the risk of having a null root but that's all and that isn't really such a
big deal beyond putting the document into an invalid state. But then we have
an exception for that ;-)