[jdom-interest] JDOM -> Xalan using PipedStreams

Karachiwala, Aslam Aslam.Karachiwala at tfn.com
Wed Aug 1 12:00:02 PDT 2001

Hello.

Re. the thread included below, Markus, I'd appreciate your updated sample.
Here's what we're trying to do w/ JDOM & Xalan (rls jdom-b7)...

- construct XML output from a JDBC resultset via JDOM & write it to a
PipedOutputStream (pos)

- connect pos to the PipedInputStream (pis) from which I create a
StreamSource (srcxml)

- create new Transformer instance (xformer) from TransformerFactory for the
StreamSource created from the stylesheet file (srcxls)

- call xformer.transform(srcxml, streamResult)

We find that the above call to transform() simply "hangs." The only case in
which it succeeds is when srcxls & srcxml are created from filepaths of
actual files on disk (doing this with even File objects didn't work). We've
verified that all's OK with the XML constructed and fed to the transformer.
We've been able to successfully write to streamResult instances created from
File as well as FileOutputStream objects.

BTW, I also tried mimicking the example in Brett's tip --
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/x-tipjdom.html -- without
luck.

Any ideas, anyone?

--aslam