[jdom-interest] String Interning

rshumway at orincon.com rshumway at orincon.com
Wed Aug 8 12:28:15 PDT 2001

Perhaps this is a naive question, but I was wondering why none of the
JDOM classes intern() the Strings they encapsulate.  Seems like it
might save a lot of storage, especially for those of us who store lots
of docs in memory concurrently.  I would think it would be trivial to
implement in the constructors of the various classes.  Since most
of my docs are read from disk through a parser, I'm not certain how
I would intern() the Strings myself, without hacking the JDOM source.

Thanks for you help,
Ross