[jdom-interest] External DTD

Lau, Lai lai.lau at attws.com
Thu Aug 2 17:12:13 PDT 2001

Hi All,

I have a question regarding how to turn off the validation for DTD.  I build
a JDOM document by using the following:

String saxDriverClass = "org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser";
builder = new SAXBuilder (saxDriverClass, false);
Document doc = builder.build(filename);

However, when we put an external URL (outside our company firewall), we
received Java Null pointer exception during the build.  So, I tried adding :
builder.setValidation(false), it will cause system timeout.  Seems to me the
command above did not actually turn off the validation.
Our input (xml document) is from an outside source and will contain an
external URL in the <!Doctype for sure.   Any recommendation?

Thank you!
Lai Lau
Developer, B2B eBusiness
Information Technology