[jdom-interest] JDOM/MPI conflict on Linux ?

Laymon, Marc A (CRD) laymon at crd.ge.com
Thu Dec 20 06:02:19 PST 2001

Hi,

I am trying to use JDOM in a program
which also uses MPI (Message Passing Interface).
MPI uses sockets to pass data between process
running on differenct machines.  I am using the MPICH
implementation a java wrapper call mpiJava which uses
JNI to invoke the underlying MPI code.

In the program which uses MPI, I am getting an error
when calling

	Reader in = new FileReader( file ) ;
	SAXBuilder builder = new SAXBuilder() ;
            _logger.debug (_loggingPrefix + "created SAXBuilder") ;
	Document jdoc = null ;
	try
	{
	    jdoc = builder.build( in ) ;
	    _logger.debug (_loggingPrefix + "created JDOM Document") ;
	}
	catch (Exception e)
	{
	    _logger.error ("Exception creating JDOM Document" + e.getClass().getName()) ;
	    throw e ;
	}

The error is

1555 [main] DEBUG gefa.cbe.impl.XMLTestMPI  - [lsf02crdge:1] created SAXBuilder
p2_766:  p4_error: interrupt SIGSEGV: 11
rm_l_1_31811:  p4_error: net_recv read:  probable EOF on socket: 1
bm_list_11533:  p4_error: net_recv read:  probable EOF on socket: 1

I think the p4_error is coming from the native MPI code (although I can't find this error message
in the MPI code) because I am not printing out the error message in the catch block.
I looked at SAXBuilder and the build method did not seem
like it was doing anything with sockets that would conflict with MPI.

The same code runs fine on solaris.  I don't know if the difference is in
the OS or the version of java.  On solaris, the java version is 1.3.0.
On Linux, it is 1.3.1_01.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks.

Marc Laymon