[jdom-interest] EntityRef questions

Stefan ALBOI sbll at ss.pub.ro
Fri Jun 1 17:34:26 PDT 2001

I just took a quick look at EntityRef and I have a couple of questions:

1. If I have in a document 1 million references to an entity, the
EntityRef will be present a million times in memory with the same publicID
and systemID? The parent is the only one that differs.

2. Doesn't EntityRef look too close to EntityDecl's ExternalID (XML
Recommendation 1.0)? Why not use an EntityDecl in a DTD, and make
EntityRef something like:
   - protected Document document
   - protected java.lang.String name
   - protected Element parent
   - protected EntityDecl reference
with the appropriate constructors, getters and setter?

3. In the case of the current EntityRef, what possibilities do I have to
manipulate external entities using JDOM? Shouldn't a Entity (close to
Element) be present (like it was before), but with better support?