[jdom-interest] hashCode() and equals()

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Jun 2 12:54:58 PDT 2001

At 1:01 PM -0500 6/2/01, philip.nelson at omniresources.com wrote:

>Hypothesized! Kill the messenger!  actually in a followup I agreed the uri
>*is* what matters but that certain implementations may not work.  I have
>been working with MSSoap which seems very fussy about things like this. I
>guess I'll have to followup and see.

Please don't use Microsoft software as the definition of conformance
to anything, but especially not XML and super-especially not
namespaces! Microsoft has such a long track record of
misunderstanding and misimplementing the standards, as well as of
presenting their proposed (and even rejected) extensions to the
standards as W3C approved truth, that one simply cannot believe
anything they say. Their parsers at least through MSXML 3.0 have had
HUGE, SHOWSTOPPING, MONSTROUS BUGS in namespace handling. I haven't
tested 4.0 yet, but past experience doesn't make me hopeful.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |