[jdom-interest] Please make a release...

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Jun 6 14:08:40 PDT 2001

At 12:08 PM -0700 6/5/01, Jason Hunter wrote:
>I'll do a beta7 release as soon as I'm back from JavaOne.  I was going
>to do it before J1 but Jools is so close to being done with FilterList
>that I decided to wait a little bit.  I believe FilterList is going to
>help list read performance significantly because there won't be all the
>object copying.  And it'll avoid us getting any more bug reports about
>PartialList.

Do we really need to do beta releases at this stage? It seems to me
they just confuse people. A developer goes to the JDOM home page,
downloads the latest beta, finds a bug, spends a day isolating fixing
it, submits a patch or a solid report, only to be told "We aren't
going to listen to you because you're not using the CVS version."

If we aren't going pay any attention to bugs reported against a beta,
then I don't think we should publish betas. Instead we should post
the latest daily build on the site, but not label anything as a beta
until we're ready to commit to it.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |