[jdom-interest] JDOM and VAJ353

Fred Clewis clewisf at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 19 06:21:12 PDT 2001

I have followed the FAQ on this, bit I still have some questions about
using JDOM b6 with VAJ353.  The program I have had working on VAJ35 JDOMb6
now gives the error:
     Root cause: java.lang.NullPointerException
          at org.jdom.input.DOMBuilder.buildTree(DOMBuilder.java:394)
in the source (DOMBuilder.java:394) this is (I think):
     // Recurse through the tree
          switch (node.getNodeType()) {

I want rule out class differences, since that is what changed, before I
suspect the code.

1.  VAJ353 ships with XML Parser for Java 2.0.15.  It only has one
org.w3c.* and I delete it. Step 6 says: Import all Xerces classes including
org.w3c.* interfaces.  Does this mean:
     A. Import all classes in the xerces.jar even if they are in an
org.w3c.* package. (sax stuff overlays XML4J)
or
     B. Import only the org.w3c.* packages
2.  I have also started using the xerces.jar shipped with JDOM beta 6
instead of the Alphaworks 311 version. Is that good?

thanks for any ideas
Fred Clewis