[jdom-interest] Using JDOM with Microcoft Java VM + Internet Explorer (Fixing NoClassDefFoundError) (Archive purposes)

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Sat Jun 30 05:42:54 PDT 2001

> Wouldn't you just place the JDOM and parser files in the codebase
> location of the applet?  It seems kind of baked to have to edit the
> registry to run an applet.

Not on an intranet though!  Even with a fast connection, having the classes
loaded locally speeds things up considerably.  You don't have to edit your
registry to get the jdom classes loaded either.  Just put them in the MS
virtual machine equivalent of the lib/ext which is one of the directories
under %systemdir%/java.  Sorry, you'll have to experiment to make sure which
one it is.

Although **I wouldn't recommend this as a long term strategy**, after
getting jdom (compiled with jdk1.2 and with the jdk1.2 rt.jar in the ms
classpath) setup, I could access jdom based code from Visual Basic, ASP and
Windows Scripting Host apps as a COM object.  You have to write an adapter
because COM doesn't have constructors but other than that it seemed to work.
I'm sure there is a good case to try it with the jdk1.1 build but I didn't
do that.