[jdom-interest] RE: Reference comparisons in SAXHandler.startElement

Joseph Bowbeer jozart at csi.com
Thu Mar 15 00:32:24 PST 2001

Philip -

I lost track of what this discussion is about.  :-)

Is it about trying to squeeze some performance out of
SAXHandler.startElement by changing a few .equals to == ?

If so, I have a hard time imaging that that micro-optimization can have much
impact because there's so much other stuff going on in
SAXHandler.startElement.  (Well, maybe it could have an impact if the
strings are fairly long and have common prefixes.)

Consider just the Element.addContent call at the end of startElement: it
does all kinds of things, including scanning all the parent element's
parents to see if the new element is among them -- which is always wasted
effort in this context because the new element was just created.

So where is this performance gain supposed to come from?

(When you post test results, can you please include the JVM version and
other platform information?  The actual test code would be nice, too, but
that might be too much trouble.  It's just that tests are so variable...)

But maybe I missed an important point somewhere.

Perhaps the most important gain of intern and == is not performance, but
memory savings, as Jason pointed out.  Or perhaps the performance gains
we're striving for are not in SAXHandler.startElement but elsewhere.

Please set me straight.  Thanks.