[jdom-interest] First pass at Namespace revision[eg]

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Fri Mar 30 14:02:59 PST 2001

> I'm hoping someone can come up with a good reason why you'd want to
> programatically change the namespace URIs of elements in a
> document.

In any situation where you want to programatically change a document that
originates from a template.  Perhaps you want to build wsdl files from a
template and want to set the uri after the document has been built to a
program specific urn rather than add them programatically to each place
where it may be used.

To change the name of my service:

<definitions name="Tax_Service"
  targetNamespace="http://localhost:8080/soap/Hello_Service-impl.wsdl"
  xmlns:tns="urn:tax-service"
</definitions>
I may have the tns prefix used in many places in this document.  If I want
to change the name of my service, it may be nice if I could change the uri
as well.  This would be an extra challenge now in JDOM.  You could rightly
argue that I don't have to do this, but is the place of an api to have a
position on that?

What about that year in the schema uri above?

Perhaps my company changed their legal name and I have 1000 forms with the
old name stored in uri information.

Any editor.  Elliote cleverly called editors 19% past the 20% part of our 80
20 goal.  For a general purpose editor, he is quite likely correct.  An
editor for my own documents would be an almost sure thing if it was easy.
Have you noticed all the interest in live Swing trees?

> BTW, if you look at DOM it doesn't have a setName() or
> setNamespaceURI()
> option either.

And lot's of other cool features that JDOM does have ;-)