[jdom-interest] Use of JDOM in JNLP environment

Rosen, Alex arosen at silverstream.com
Tue May 1 07:57:59 PDT 2001

> I use JDOM in a JNLP (Webstart Application).

Cool!

> I can now initialize JDOM with this input stream and it parses the
> document. with one exception: if the document references a DTD: JDOM
> tries to open a connection (stream) to the filesystem, and this is
> obviously forbidden in JNLP. only streams via JNLP api are allowed as
> the user is notified when the application tries to access the system.

If you don't use a signed app, you could implement org.xml.sax.EntityResolver,
so that the parser will call you back when it needs to locate the DTD. Then you
could use the JNLP API to ask the user to find it for you. Not 100% elegant,
but it would work. Otherwise you'll need to use a trusted (signed) app.

Alex Rosen
SilverStream Software

P.S. I get this error when I try to run your app (I'm using JWS 1.0, not
1.0.1):

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: XMLValidator
Vendor: Alexander Schatten
Category: Download Error

The application has requested a version of the Java 2 platform (JRE) that is
currently not locally installed. Java Web Start was unable to automatically
download and install the requested version. The JRE version must be installed
manually.

Error Code 11 (11 Requested version is not available for automatic download)
returned from server when accessing resource:
(http://jsp.java.sun.com/servlet/javawsExtensionServer, 1.3)