[jdom-interest] Design Patterns - Visitor

Trimmer, Todd todd.trimmer at trizetto.com
Wed May 2 13:40:28 PDT 2001

Oops! Forgot to change the subject the first time I sent to this. I am
resending so that it will be in the proper thread and in case the list
daemon auto-filters messages that accidentally reply to a digest.

Write your walker class that has to deal with all the various JDOM classes
(Element, CDATA, Comment, etc.). Now rewrite that same class that only has
to deal with a base Node class. Which was easier?

With Node, I can have an Iterator feed Nodes to a Visitor that only cares
about Nodes as Nodes, that is, it never has to downcast. This way I never
have to pay for downcasting if I never use it. Now let's say I have other
Visitors that DO care about specific type. I can use the exact same Iterator
and place all the casting code in the Visitor. Now, I only pay if I need to.

Todd Trimmer