[jdom-interest] Performance benchmark results

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Fri May 11 10:52:45 PDT 2001

> I'll
> probably either disable the run all models mode or require it
> to be specifically
> requested for the next iteration of the benchmark, rather
> than have it be the default
> as now.

Makes sense, I'll use it that way.  Did you do much testing where you ran
once or twice?  I would think repeatedly parsing the same document would not
be a great test, particularly depending on how the parser does or does not
do string interning.  Maybe the "priming" should be done with a separate
small document that has at least one of each xml node type but names
unlikely to be in a real document.  I suppose for the use case of parsing
config files, the current method *is* appropriate.  I don't know, just
something to think about.  In my normal useage, the documents types are
similar but the content varies.

Fact: benchmarking is really hard to do well.

I may also give it a go with some other parsers, just as a point of
reference. If you haven't guessed it, performance is a big issue for me :-)