[jdom-interest] Experimental: new jdom-interest archives

Jason Hunter jhunter at collab.net
Mon May 14 15:05:07 PDT 2001

Noam Tamim wrote:

> > I'm working to set up searchable jdom-interest archives.  If you're
> > interested in checking out an experimental version of the system, click
> > here:
> > http://www.servlets.com/archive/servlet/SummarizeList?listId=9
>
> It works great. Does it use JDOM?

Yep, it converts the historical mbox archive to XML (using the recently
released "mbox" DTD) then applies an XSLT transformation to dynamically
present each mail message customized for the client browser.

Just kidding.  There's absolutely no reason to use XML or JDOM here.
Anyone who believed the previous paragraph has been exposed to too much
XML hype.  :-)

What I'm really using is EyeBrowse, an open source servlet-based
MySQL-backed tool.  I think it's the only servlet-based mail archive
tool, and since I'm a servlet guy...  :-)

EB is actually used by my company (CollabNet) within our SourceCast
product.  Its home is http://eyebrowse.tigris.org, but you'll notice the
site has fallen into disrepair over the last year.  The company has been
focused on making the tool work as part of SourceCast and hasn't kept
the public site up to date.  I'm trying to use the tool as an "outsider"
to help prep it for more community growth and adoption.  Kinda fun.  The
mailing list archive shows my experience thus far.

> One question, though: the last month there is April. Will May only be there
> when it's over?

Step one: Get historical archives working
Step two: Get live archives working

:-)