[jdom-interest] new user

Ian Lea ian.lea at blackwell.co.uk
Wed May 16 14:00:42 PDT 2001

> I am new user to this group as well as facing some problem
> in the installation. After building all the files on
> Sun-solaris environment, still I am getting some
> error. Could you please let me know how to set path etc..

You don't need to build jdom - the distribution includes
a jar file in build/jdom.jar.

Here is a short sample session to help you get started:

bash-2.03$ uname -a
SunOS athena 5.8 Generic_108528-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
bash-2.03$ java -version
java version "1.3.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0_02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0_02, mixed mode)
bash-2.03$ gunzip -c jdom-b6.tar.gz | tar -xf -
bash-2.03$ cd jdom-b6
bash-2.03$ export CLASSPATH=./:build/jdom.jar:lib/xerces.jar
bash-2.03$ javac samples/*.java
bash-2.03$ java samples/SAXBuilderDemo samples/web.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">
-->
<web-app>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>snoop</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>SnoopServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>file</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>ViewFile</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>initial</param-name>
      <param-value>1000</param-value>
      <description>
The initial value for the counter        <!-- optional -->
      </description>
    </init-param>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>mv</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>*.wm</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <distributed></distributed>
  <security-role>
    <role-name>manager</role-name>
    <role-name>director</role-name>
    <role-name>president</role-name>
  </security-role>
</web-app>

If this doesn't work for you then, as Philip says, you will
need to be more specific and tell us exactly what is going
wrong.

--
Ian.