[jdom-interest] Full Unicode support (was Content as a Text Node)

Alex Rosen arosen at silverstream.com
Fri May 18 13:15:17 PDT 2001

> Elliotte brought up full unicode
> support, very important to some people.

I'm having a hard time imagining this being a serious requirement. The Unicode
support that's lacking right now is the support for characters outside the BMP,
that require more than 16 bits, right? Is this more than a .01% use case? These
characters are very uncommon - in fact Unicode got along OK until release 3.1
before adding them (according to http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr27/).
Java Strings have no support for them, and no Java XML parsers support them,
AFAIK. Trying to support them seems like a *lot* of work for little benefit,
unless there's some common usage that I'm not familiar with.

It seems futile to try to support this feature when Java Strings don't even
bother.

Alex