[jdom-interest] getChildTextNormalize()

Dennis Sosnoski dms at sosnoski.com
Wed Oct 3 14:45:12 PDT 2001

I think most people would agree that null should not be returned for an error
condition. The real question is what's an error condition.

If you interpret an access method to mean "give me this value, and I know it's there",
then "not found" is an error condition and *should* throw an exception. In this case
anyone wanting to retrieve an optional value needs to first check that the value is
actually present.

If you interpret an access method as meaning "give me this value, if it's there", the
null return for a "not found" case makes perfect sense.

Both these choices are reasonable. As for "returning null is problematic as it...", the
distinction seems to be between the method throwing an exception when used to access a
non-existant value vs the application code throwing an exception whne attempting to use
a returned null value. The first is a little clearer to the developer, but not by a
lot.

  - Dennis