[jdom-interest] XMLOutputter/SAXBuilder

philip.nelson at omniresources.com philip.nelson at omniresources.com
Fri Sep 14 16:54:02 PDT 2001

> It's actually not JDOM at all. SAX reports default attributes
> on an element,
> and does not give any indication that these attributes /are/
> default. In
> other words, it's a "bug/feature" of SAX 2.0 itself. I don't
> know of anyway
> to turn that processing off, and since SAX doesn't yet provide any
> additional typing or related information about default vs. declared
> attributes, I'm not sure how we could take care of it if we wanted to.

This is close to what Elliotte wanted for his XInclude processor.  I think
it would be possible when setExpandEntities is false and the DTDHandler is
active.  Elliottes idea was some sort of AttributeType class that could be
obtained from the attribute itself.  A model would be kept in the Doctype.
The idea stalled when someone brought up schemas which can do similar and
vastly expanded sorts of things.  Is there a common model?  I am not sure
that schemas and dtds have enough in common to model them the same way.  For
example, the terminology seems so very different.  A schema model would have
so many dead parts if derived from a dtd, etc., etc..   Notations and
unparsed entities were something Elliotte really needed.

Of course, somebody would have to volunteer to do this...

uraddr at yourhost.com