[jdom-interest] B-7's MANIFEST.MF and newer versions of Xerces = PROBLEMS!!!

Jan C. Zawadzki jcz at geniesystems.com
Mon Sep 17 17:20:13 PDT 2001

Well, at least under Linux (RH 7.1 & Mandrake 8), both the Sun and IBM
JDK's load the xerces.jar based on that entry.

On the whole I would argue that while it is nice to be able to have the
standalone behaviour, JDOM is after all a library primarily, and this
nicety can cause severe problems in core functionality.

I guess it wouldn't be too bad if the errors it triggered were obvious
and easy to track down - but they are not.  As it stands right now the
Linux JVM's appear to load xerces out of the blue - without an entry in
the CLASSPATH, etc.  Unless you know about this JAR capability (which
I'd guess most people aren't really aware of), you'll be reduced to
scanning for static classloaders and such - as I did before a "grep"
located the manifest entry.

All I'm saying is that it is not unlikely that people use an updated
version of Xerces under Linux - and in general, that CLASSPATH order
dependencies should be avoided.

To solve the problem of -jar jdom.jar doing something useful could we
look at the URLClassLoader?  At least that way the behaviour is limited
to actual JDOMAbout use...

Jan