[jdom-interest] no getChildTextNormalize() ?

Kent Johnson kentj at rsn.hp.com
Thu Sep 27 13:15:09 PDT 2001

I really have to agree with Richard.  I think getChild().getTextTrim() is
actually easier to understand too (and definitely fits the OOP model
better).  My only problem was, if you were going to have the other
getChildText*() methods, you need to have one for each
getText*() method.  It's all or nothing.

So if there is no getting rid of the getChildText*() methods, I am +1 on
getChildTextNormalize().  But if everyone else agrees that the child
helper methods should be gotten rid of, then I agree with that too.

I'm really new around here, and new to any open source project for that
matter, so I'm not really sure how stuff like this works and
is decided.  But I do think there are really 2 issues here:

1) Does it make sence to have the getChildText() and
getChildTextTrim() methods without the getChildTextNormalize() method?

2) Does it make sense to have any of the getChildText*() methods?

Since I believe number 1) is an obvious no, for consistancy's sake, I am
going to make a getChildTextNormalize() method (yeah I know, real hard
work... hey you gotta start somewhere :) ) and submit a patch for it.  But
I think it should also be decided whether all of these should be
deprecated/removed/whatever.

Any thoughts?

Kent