[jdom-interest] serialization Push toward a 1.0 API

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Apr 9 19:39:33 PDT 2002

At 6:39 PM -0700 4/9/02, Jason Hunter wrote:

>* Make sure we have a story for serialization.  How much work is it to
>support
>   serialization across current and future JDOM versions?
>   See "serialVersionUID" thread especially Peter V. Gadjokov's remarks
>at
>
>http://lists.denveronline.net/lists/jdom-interest/2000-September/subject.html
>   It may be OK to worry about fast short-term serialization only.
>
>Personally, I don't think we need to worry about long-term
>serialization.  That's what XML is for.  When you send XML over the wire
>and care about extensibility in the future, you should send it as XML
>and not as a Java-based serialized copy of the document.

I tend to agree in principal. However, I do think that if this is our
philosophy we need to eat the whole hog; i.e. no JDOM classes
implement Serializable, short term or long term. If the classes are
going to implement Serializable, they should implement it correctly.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |