[jdom-interest] Bit masks in ContentFilter

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Apr 12 19:44:08 PDT 2002

At 1:14 PM -0700 4/12/02, Jason Hunter wrote:

>Playing devil's advocate for a second, they use bitmasks in the brand
>spanking New I/O library.  So new it has New in the name.  :-)
>
>Look at the SelectableChannel.register(x, y, OP_ACCEPT) call where
>OP_ACCEPT is an int in a bitmask.  All around selectors you need to do
>bitmask work.  I don't think Sun's treating it like a relic from C.

I haven't really looked at the new I/O API in any depth yet, but what
this reminds me of more than anything is Unix networking libraries. I
suspect some of that thinking may have infected the working group and
led them down a path of less than pure object-oriented virtue. :-)

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |