[jdom-interest] XPath support

bob mcwhirter bob at werken.com
Thu Aug 29 06:14:55 PDT 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Hushagen, Michael E. wrote:

> JDOM is much more intuitive to code in as a Java developer, but we're a
> little worried about using a third-party Xpath solution.  Also, the
> JDOM/Jaxen combo seems slower compared to DOM.  We have only run a few small
> tests so far though...

Jaxen 1.0-final does have a few performance issues that have been corrected
in the CVS version.  I need to release a minor version to include them,
though.  If you can characterize any other performance issues you're having,
please bring them to the jaxen-interest mailling list where we can address
them.

> Any thoughts on this?  Will JDOM have native Xpath support any time soon?

For the past...3 years?... my XPath projects (werken.xpath and Jaxen) have been
the only XPath engines I'm aware of that work with JDOM.  I really don't think
anyone else is going to come up with one anytime soon.

Fwiw, since Jaxen supports 3 open-source object models and is embedded in
1 commercial object-model (EXML), I think it'll remain viable.  Too many
people have an interest in seeing Jaxen continue.

	-bob