[jdom-interest] JDOM vs electric

Dennis Sosnoski dms at sosnoski.com
Tue Feb 12 17:07:36 PST 2002

Hi Graham,

In the latest set of tests I've added some collections of smaller
documents. EXML does very well on small documents (especially the SOAP
collection, not too surprisingly!). It still performs fairly poorly on
larger documents, especially when the elimination of whitespace is taken
into account.

As we'd discussed previously, the differences in results look to be due
to several factors:

1. Your test uses a single very small document, of the type that EXML
appears optimized for
2. You test only against JDOM running Xerces, which is kind of shooting
fish in a barrel when it comes to performance comparisons. :-) If you're
really interested in seeing how EXML performs you should test against
some of the other alternatives.
3. EXML discards character data sequences consisting only of whitespace,
and thereby uses a dramatically lower number of objects in the document
representations; while this is fine for many applications, it biases the
tests. It's also not compliant with the XML spec, and should at least be
pointed out to users in your documentation
4. My tests are looking for the best performance the code is able to
give, so I take the best time of several runs, while your test uses the
average time; using average times for benchmarking applications using
Hot Spot JVMs is questionable, if you're going to do this at all you
need to run an extended series of test passes and discard all but the
last few.
5. My tests use memory settings of -Xms64M and -Xmx64M to give the JVM
plenty of memory; this is appropriate for a server enviroment, and makes
a big difference in how well Hot Spot handles code. Your test run uses
the default setting.

  - Dennis