[jdom-interest] getText() and getAttributeValue()

John L. Webber - Jentro AG John.Webber at jentro.com
Sun Feb 17 23:29:42 PST 2002

Jason Hunter wrote:

> > Why is getXXX(key, defaultValue) so abhorrent? After seeing Jason Hunter's
> > ParameterParserClass in Java Servlet Programming, which is chock-full of
> > methods like this, how can one not appreciate the power and beauty of such a
> > method?
> >
> > Todd Trimmer
>
> Todd knows how to help his cause with carefully placed suck ups.  :-)
>
> But besides that, since Properties.getProperty(String, String) has set
> the standard in Java land, I don't think it's unreasonable people will
> know what getAttributeValue(String, String) does without reading docs.

+1 for this suggestion. I have tons of parsing code that looks as
cluttered as Todd's example -- I'd love to be able to replace it with
the suggested change

John Webber

 Jentro AG
 John L. Webber, Software Development
 Peter-Henlein-Strasse 28, 85540 Haar/Munich, Germany
 Tel. +49 89 462 385 0     mailto:John.Webber at jentro.com
 Fax  +49 89 462 385 29    http://www.jentro.com